The Central Intelligence Agency is the foreign intelligence service of the United States. It was created after the National Security Act of 1947, and is based on a concept made in 1944.
The CIA isn't just one big intelligence service, but is made up of several directorates, each of which fills a specialized role:
- The Directorate for Operations is responsible for the clandestine collection of all foreign intelligence, and for counterintelligence gathered outside of the United States.
- The Directorate of Intelligence is responsible for the analysis of intelligence and the production of reports.
- The Directorate for Science and Technology is comprised of various offices, including The Office of Technical Service. Most offices in this Directorate gather SIGINT and relays the information in the transmissions.
- The Special Activities Division, which Bourne is part of, is responsible for Black Operations and Information warfare. 
In the Bourne films, three black operations programs were undertaken by the CIA. They were Operation Treadstone, Operation Blackbriar (Treadstone upgrade), and Operation Outcome (Treadstone without the inconsistencies). The three produced assassins. As taken in the commentary of the Bourne Identity, these programs would fall under the Directorate of Operations, specifically in the Special Activities Division.
- ↑ Ultimate Spy by H. Keith Melton