OverviewEditThe SIG P229 is a pistol designed and manufactured by Swiss Arms AG (formerly SIG Arms AG and Sauer & Sohn) and distributed in United States by the SIGARMS. It is chambered in .40 S&W, and .357 SIG with a 12 round magazine and also in 9mm Parabellum with a 13 round magazine. The SIG-Sauer P229 pistol was introduced to serve as a compact version of the P226 that could handle the higher velocity .357 SIG and .40 S&W rounds.
The previous P228 had a lighter weight cast slide that could only take the higher pressure rounds if an overly heavy spring were installed. The newer P229 used a heavier CNC machined steel slide that could take the high velocity return with a standard spring and not damage the pistol. The SIG P229 chambered in .40 S&W is the standard issue pistol of Department of Homeland Security and the Coast Guard, and P229s in .357 SIG are the standard side arm of the U.S. Secret Service, and are commonly used by police departments around the country. When the P229 was expanded to offer the 9x19mm as a standard caliber, that marked the end of the production life of the older P228.
- The SIG P229 pistol is apparently a Bourne favorite, it was first seen in his Zurich deposit box.
- Actually, it was a Sig Pro 2009/2340 that was seen in the deposit box. Look close enough, and you will notice the frame is polymer.
- Bourne aimed a SIG P229 at a Russian police office in Moscow.
- Jason Bourne uses a Sig Sauer P225 throughout The Bourne Supremacy after arriving in Naples. It is most notably seen when he confronts Treadstone asset Jarda in his home, and when Bourne uses it to shoot through the door of his stolen taxi at Kirill's Mercedes in Moscow.
- The SIG P229 is carried by Paz at Waterloo Station.
- Paz also uses a SIG P229 with a suppressor when pursuing Bourne in New York City.
- In Ultimatum, we see Bourne often using the updated SP2022 variant, and in one of the final scenes, where he is holding Dr. Hirsch at gunpoint, there is a continuity blooper where some cuts show Bourne holding a Glock, and some cuts show him holding the SIG P229.