The Bourne Identity was a television movie in 1988 that was about three hours long. With commercials, it lasted four hours, so it was shown on ABC in two segments of two hours. It has a 6.8/10 rating on IMDB. It was directed by Roger Young and produced by Frederick Muller.
- Richard Chamberlain as Jason Bourne
- Jaclyn Smith as Marie St. Jacques
- Anthony Quayle as Francois Villiers
- Donald Moffat as David Abbott
- Yorgo Voyagis as Carlos The Jackal
The 1988 film is fairly inconsistent with the novels. In the film, Carlos is gunned down by Bourne, while in the book he manages to escape. Alexander Conklin is also killed in the film, whereas he survives in the book. In addition, the 1988 film has Carlos responsible for killing Bourne's wife and child, which is not the case in the book.